ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Time saving tips
View Single Post

apple annie

Saving time
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

On papers that are fairly easy to grade, like fill in the blank or circle the correct answers, I can put two students' papers side by side and grade two just about as quickly as I can grade one. If you make your own tests, make them have either 10, 20 or 25 items. Calculating the grade is easy and you don't even have to use an e z grader.

Get kids to help with stuff as much as possible. I have one student put stacks of collected papers in alphabetical order when they are passed in to make recording grades quick later. I set up a hanging file system for returned papers, so kids put signed graded papers in their file and I don't have to file them later.
We have popcorn concession twice a week, and I have a student in charge of collecting money and recording.

I've done away with high maintenance discipline systems. No clip charts, dojo, card pulling, treasure boxes, etc. Students get a weekly conduct grade based on a weekly conduct sheet that they keep in their folders. An infraction of the rules is minus four points from 100. I usually try to give a subtle warning if a kid is pushing his luck. Then if it's still needed, I give a conduct mark for an infraction, AND I call the parent right then and let them know they will be seeing a mark on the sheet and why. The immediate phone call home is almost always enough to put an end to any classroom disrespect or disturbance. Most kids have an A in conduct each week. Dumping the "systems" was the biggest time saver for me.

Last edited by apple annie; 07-29-2016 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: ...
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net