ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - fidget toy for time out/chill chair?
View Single Post

rSquirrel

Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A lot of my kids who have behaviour issues also have sensory needs. One of my kids needs to leave the classroom often to go do weighted exercises...pulling a heavy wagon..carrying things..

What about something that works their muscles ..like playdough?..they can squish it and kneed it and roll it...or maybe a weighted lap bag.

It should be modeled and explained to kids that this isn't a bad place to go or you're in trouble..its because you need to take a break so that you are ready to come back and join the group. Also modelling it yourself that you need to take breaks sometimes to is good. It shouldnt be looked as a play place to go. usually for me is someone is not following a rule at Morning Meeting..frequently...I would stop and maybe address it as a class. " We agreed as a class that it was important for everyone to listen to other friends during Morning Meeting. When you whisper to someone beside you while others are greeting...you are not doing this. "

If it happened again with that child...I would move their spot in the circle or ask them to leave the circle..and maybe sit on the outside of the circle in a chair..still listening.

I dunno...I am no expert!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net