ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Writing Question
View Single Post

Paolo

Revision and Editing
Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have both a revision and an editing conference with students before they publish a piece. When they are finished a draft, they put it in my "revising" basket so I can review it and prepare for the conference. After the conference, the writer completes his/her revisions, then does a self-edit before putting the piece in my editing basket. Again, I do this so I can look at the piece before meeting with the student.

The amount of help I give students in correcting spelling and conventions really depends on how "public" the publishing will be. I believe that the goal of the editing conference is to focus on teaching the writer, not just making the piece more perfect. So I try to focus on two or three "teachable" corrections or patterns in the writing. This means that for classroom publishing, the piece may be published with errors, because I focus on the learning rather than simply correcting every error. That said, if the piece is going public - into the world for some reason - then I go over the piece and do a final edit before the student publishes (word processes, rewrites, etc) it so it's as clean as possible.
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net