ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Departmentalizing 3rd Grade
View Single Post

TheGr8Catsby

Old 12-19-2017, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's so much easier to do this at the beginning of the year than January.

Do your students have lockers/cubbies/any kind of storage that isn't the desk? If so, that is where all student belongings go. The desks only contain shared materials.

I also learned that it's best for students to travel with minimal items. It's easiest to do community pencils and paper, but if you decide not to go that route have something uniform for the students to transition with. When I taught third on a trio, we had "travel folders" that went with students. I would like to have used 1 inch three ring binders with a pencil pouch in it.

If there are a lot of items that your students will have to transition with, make sure you have your homeroom as your middle block. If not, decide whether you want your homeroom in the morning or afternoon. It's easiest to have your homeroom when you have the most transitions and/or interruptions. If it looks like you will go to specials and lunch during your last block, have your homeroom at that time.

Finally make sure you have some kind of consistent behavior management piece in place. If you decide to use ClassDojo and take 5 minutes off recess for a negative point, make that teamwide.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net