ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Departmentalizing 3rd Grade
View Single Post

cruxian

Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've departmentalized in about as many different varities/combinations as you can imagine.
Management of materials is something to think through (in terms of how you want to handle it). Even though my homeroom has a separate storage area from the other class, I am still firm withmy reminders that they are not to keep anything personal in their desks. One boy kept slime in his desk with utterly predictable results.
Decide as a team if you're using a uniform behavior consequence. I've found it also effective to implement behaviors within my own room. The kids were able to differentiate between one set of rules for my room veruss the room down the hall. But it's good to decide if that's something you want to do together or individually.
Frequent communication between teachers is helpful about student progress/behaviors/concerns, etc. One thing that has come up is silly little things like pencil sharpening or bathroom breaks. I realize it seems simple but one of the other teachers doesn't take his class to the bathroom before lunch so most of them have to go during independent reading time. (And I genuinely think it's them having to go, mostly, not them avoiding the work....because it's the majority of them including good kids.)
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net