ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Guided Reading
Thread: Guided Reading
View Single Post

cruxian

Old 01-08-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

PindleLou, I meet with three groups a day and (within a class) have 4 to 5 groups. I keep the groups flexible. No more than 6 kids in a group. So no, I don't meet with each group every day but will meet with each group 3 to 4 times over the course of the week.
Because I teach 5th grade, most of the reading is done silently and while they are working independently. During group, my job is to check comprehension and discuss their reading responses and how our reading skill applies to the book. for example if we're wroking on compring and contrasting, we might discuss how two characters are similar and different and we might make a Venn Diagram together. (This isn't to say that we never read out loud together or that there aren't situations where I might need to have a group work on reading fluency. This generally isn't the normal in fifth though so it remains an exception rather than the norm.) At the end of the group, I give them a new section of the book to read and ask them to write a reading response. (Our fearless leaders insist that the kids start the responses with "I think" or "I wonder." Then they have to refer to something that happened in the book to explain their thinking. If they respond with "I wonder" they have to begin another sentence and say "Maybe" and kind of answer their question. For example, if we were reading the Al Capone Does My Shirts, a student might respond by saying, "I wonder if Moose gets frustrated sometimes about having to take care of his sister Natalie. Maybe he doesn't like having to be responsible for her because he can't play baseball with his friends.") I have a section of my board that lists each group, the days of the week they meet and their independent assignments.
You know what? 95% of the kids do their work 95% of the time. I have one persistent bugger that almost never doe and (with admin support) I'm going to do something different with him. A second boy is kind of inconsistent but everybody else is good. I'd say this is fairly typical. In any given year, I'll get 90% of kids doing their work either every time or almost every time. Yay! (I do keep track and count it as a grade.)
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net