ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - want to ditch clip chart though school wide expectation
View Single Post

Fenwick

Old 07-16-2018, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yep, it's nonsense as well as unprofessional to "mandate" a discipline system and expect everyone to embrace it enthusiastically when they had no say in its effectiveness in the first place. Clip chart is nothing more than traditional names-on-the-board with colors. And you are absolutely correct; discipline should be private. Some time back my school adopted the "card" system. Same as clips except students moved colored cards.

There are few things more powerful that will destroy a student's desire to behave than putting their name up in neon for all to see that constantly reminds them how "bad" they are. In the card system, as any teacher can guess, the same kids who were "red" (bad) in Sept. were the same kids in June. That is, the system was a failure. However, it did look impressive; a reason many administrators like "showy" systems.

I stopped using cards about two weeks into the year. Fortunately the school dropped it after one year. I would have quit and looked for another school otherwise. Years later at another school any new "system" was always voluntary. Any possibility you could talk to Ad', explain your concerns (other teachers with you could help) and make it voluntary?
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net