ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - I entered wrong grade now kid hates me
View Single Post

ElizabethJoy

Old 12-20-2018, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
He blurts out if I say something wrong or make the tiniest mistake
This sounds like a complex little kid and a difficult situation but the above quote stood out to me. I make a huge deal in class about how mistakes are an ESSENTIAL part of learning. When I realise I have made a mistake, I point it out to the kids myself. I talk about how glad I am to have realised my mistake and ask their ideas about how I can correct it. We talk about their mistakes too, and very rarely is anyone embarrassed about getting something wrong because we have normalised the whole process.

Just a thought, but maybe it will take the wind out of his sails a bit if you own your mistakes. If a kid points out Ive done something wrong- mispelled a word or forgetten to do something or whatever it was, I genuinely thank them and say, good on you, you're paying attention! I am not flustered because I'm glad I can model dealing with mistakes for my students.

As for the hateful looks and mean comments....I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I think as teachers we'd like to think the kids can't 'get to us' but at the end of the day, we're human.

I think I'd try just ignoring the looks. Most of the time, bullies are going for the reaction so....try not to give him one?

Good luck.

Last edited by ElizabethJoy; 12-20-2018 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: Made a mistake!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net