ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New special ed teacher questions
View Single Post

musicmeg222

Old 02-20-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all of the helpful responses everyone. I appreciate the tips!

I am attending orientation next week and will finally start this new position as a 6th grade Ex Ed teacher!

I'm feeling good about things and glad I will get some teaching experience by taking on a position toward the end of the school year. I'm also glad (I think) that it's an inclusion position too. I will be able to work with the general ed teacher for lesson planning. This is an inclusion position at a middle school and I'm not exactly sure of the procedure yet, but I'm assuming I will enter each class period for students and help out those on my caseload. I hope that it goes well enough that I will be asked to renew my contract for next school year.

Do you guys think I will have my own classroom/office area although I will be teaching inclusion? I really hope so! I was thinking that I would need something since I need to store my personal belongings and would need a quiet area for planning, IEP work, or to bring in a student for assessments.

Oh yeah...Assessments. I'm familiar with some of them, but definitely not all. I will have a mentor assisting me as a first year teacher and will have time to meet with my Professional Learning Committee group, so I'm hoping this will help me with assessments. I'm guessing I would need to assess students toward the end of the school year to determine whether or not their IEP goals were met? And then of course, document everything in their IEP.

Any other tips, suggestions, information, or secrets I may need to know about special education teaching, IEPs, rules/regulations, or anything? Let me know!
musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net