ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hey, You wonderful SPED teachers~
View Single Post

grammam

Hey, You wonderful SPED teachers~
Old 02-24-2019, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a gen-ed 5th grade teacher with a problem. I have a student in my class who is a significant behavior problem. He came to our school last year from another school in our state. He came with a cume 2 inches thick filled with suspension notices, etc. along with extensive testing results done by their SPED team. In the results, he was "extremely elevated" in OD and ADHD (has diagnosis for this), "elevated" for Conduct Disorder and ED. The parents never signed off on the IEP and they moved from that area soon after. We are back in the process of trying to figure out what to do. We have gotten them to sign a 504 plan for the ADHD (which was completely refused last year) and our psychologist is trying to come up with a behavior plan. The results from previous school has so far been completely ignored in these meetings.

Here's the problem. I feel like the parents and I are the only ones who understand how difficult this kid is. They have even asked if there was another room he could go to because of his disruptive behavior, but they don't want to acknowledge that there might be something diagnosably wrong. Our team wants to "try everything else" first. In the meantime, the kid constantly talks, shouts out, bullies others, argues with correction, sneaks, steals, makes inappropriate comments and gestures, etc. Every other student in my class is negatively affected by his behavior but the wheels of "help" for him are turning very slowly. The psych is very young and inexperienced though very sweet and tries hard. She keeps suggesting low-level sorts of strategies that have either been tried or would absolutely not work with this kid - even parents said that at the meeting. Now we are supposed to meet to try to devise a home-to-school or school-to-home plan for rewards. In the meeting with the psych, the student said that he doesn't want to do it because he already has the things he wants and doesn't want to risk having them taken away. He is very spoiled and very smart (identified gifted).

I have a friend who is a SPED teacher in another district. She said I should keep track of behaviors and document them. I don't disagree, but I would be spending all my time doing that. The SST team said to give him 5 positive comments for every 1 negative or redirecting comment. It is such a struggle to find 5 things to say without sounding ridiculous. I like your shoes?? How many things do I have to ignore before finding 5 good things to say? I am not good at this. I definitely say positive things to kids all day, but it's really difficult to find things this kid is doing well.

I must sound like a complainer. I'm really not. I traditionally get the most difficult kids because I manage them with respect and kindness, I guess. I have several behavior problems this year, but he is the only one I just can't seem to manage.
Any suggestions??

grammam is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net