ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hey, You wonderful SPED teachers~
View Single Post

theroad

Old 02-24-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry, sounds like you have a great relationship with the parents and that's always a great thing!

Does your district have a BCBA? If so, you may want to consult with him/her, just informally, to get some ideas. I agree with others, document behaviors.... focus on 2-3 behaviors at a time though... as a special ed teacher, I know how important it is to take data, however, I also know how cumbersome that can be if you overload yourself. I'd narrow down a couple of the most major behaviors you specifically would want to modify and then do a functional behavior analysis on each. Other special ed teachers in your building should be able to help you do this, however, there are many forms online that can also help you collect this type of data in a very scientific, but streamlined way. It really doesn't have to be fancy or pretty, many times it's just determining the function of a student's negative behavior. In my *very limited* experience, I've found that once I've been able to get at why a student behaves the way s/he does, and I've been able to teach a replacement behavior, other not-so-great behaviors tend to diminish.... best wishes!
theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net