ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - summer-school questions?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That does seem very short. I believe ours is about 5 weeks, but it's a shortened day and a shortened week for the kids. It's something like MWF for secondary kids and T/TH for elementary kids, so the same kids aren't going every day. It's also only 4 hours per day.

They have a hard time hiring for ESY in my district. The SSN (significant support needs) teachers want a break, so they don't want to do it, and the rest of us either don't feel qualified or don't want to work with that population.

I naively signed up for ESY after my first year of teaching and my students only had goals like "show attention with an eye gaze for 5 seconds" or "tolerate a sitting position for 3 minutes." I probably sound like an idiot, but I truly had no idea what to do with them all day. It's not like we were sitting down for a math lesson, reading lesson, etc. I'll never do it again, even though I'd love the extra money.

Usually my sped director sends out about 6 emails begging someone to do it and someone caves. Some years people job share the position. I'm in a tiny district, so it's just one teacher and some paras for the entire district.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net