ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - summer-school questions?
View Single Post

d0rkablex2

Esy
Old 03-09-2019, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our ESY is 5 weeks long, 4 days a week, 4 hour days. The ESY program is held in the same building as the summer reading camp and the ESL reading camp (which are both essentially summer school but for gen ed kids who are performing below grade level.) The parents in our district highly value inclusion and social interaction as much as possible, so ESY has specials each day with the other two programs in the building and one day of the week is a "fun" day where we do camp-type activities outside with the other two programs like water fun day or STEM day. We go on one community based field trip to a bookstore and a frozen yogurt shop as well.

We don't have any self-contained classrooms in our district because I'm in PA and the types of student who would require a self-contained environment are taught through Intermediate Unit programs that are county-wide. Our ESY students tend to be higher functioning life skill students who are included in the general education classroom with the exception of reading/math support and services or needy in other areas. We group the students based on age/grade level and there are typically 2-3 grade levels in each room with a teacher and several paras.

I taught ESY in my district last year and all of the teachers who taught it are special ed teachers in the district during the year, but they might not necessarily teach their own students. I only sent two students to ESY from my K/1 grade level at my school and I requested to keep them for the summer. I kept them, and also had one older student from my school and 5 students in their grade levels from the other two elementary schools.
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net