ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Special Education Lesson Plans
View Single Post

musicmeg222

Special Education Lesson Plans
Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year special education teacher at a middle school (6th grade) teaching both inclusion and resource that started just a few weeks ago. I am currently on spring break and have been trying to come up with lesson plan ideas for both language arts (reading and writing) and math. Last week, I used scholastic reading during the students language arts resource time. Scholastic reading allows teachers to obtain several copies of a book and read it together as a class. A cardboard card relating to the story is included to help teachers introduce vocabulary words, ask about reading comprehension questions, and even play a few games to help reinforce reading comprehension and reading/writing. My school has a variety of different books, on different levels, that we can use, but it's difficult since students on my caseload are are different reading levels. I also don't want to keep using this same reading program over and over.

With math, I have been writing five to six 2 digit by 1 digit multiplication problems on the whiteboard for students to practice. Sometimes, they finish these fairly quickly and want more and of course other times, it takes them awhile to work on them and then they give up. I have also created a few word problems using simple multiplication and had them work on these too.

I think what I've been working on, so far, has gone well. What I'm not sure about are lesson plans and what I should work on next. I also don't know when it would be a good time to introduce new concepts. Should I only focus on what students are learning in their regular classrooms to help reinforce these concepts, or should I introduce something new such as 2 digit by 2 digit multiplication? With special education, I find it sometimes difficult to make these decisions. Some days, the students do very well and I think it would be fine to move on. Other days, they struggle (which is expected), and I'm not sure if we should ever move on with something new. I've been researching various lesson plans online and trying to come up with new ideas.

Can anyone give me suggestions or tips for lesson plans for 6th grade special ed in both language arts and math? Also, how do I know when to start something new or whether or not I should keep reinforcing the same concepts for students? Any other tips, suggestions, or advice? Help!!

musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net