ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Questions as a new special ed teacher - Help!!!
View Single Post

musicmeg222

Questions as a new special ed teacher - Help!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new special education teacher who just took over a 6th grade Sped position in both inclusion and resource. I don't have any teaching experience and will begin my teaching certification program toward the end of May. I'm finding it difficult to create language arts and math lesson plans as I'm not sure what students have been working on all year as they have had subs for quite awhile and the level of each student differs.

With my 6th grade special ed students in math, we have been working on 2 digit by 1 digit multiplication problems. I've asked this before, but I'm still unclear. Should I continue with these problems or move on to 2 digit by 2 digit? Should we take a 'break' from multiplication problems and start on something new such as division, fractions, money, or even rounding? It's difficult to make these decisions since the students are all on different levels with different IEP goals. How long should I stick with a concept before moving on to something new?

I'm looking over the website math-aids.com that has printable worksheets on many different concepts. Should I choose a few of these and start 'teaching' or reintroducing the concepts?

I'm on spring break this week and don't really have any lesson plans or ideas of what to do starting next week. I'm looking for the 'best' or 'right' thing to do as I want to help the students as much as possible with the concepts or tasks they are struggling with. I'm also unsure of what to do with the language arts students as well.

I need some suggestions and helpful information. I just started this position two weeks ago and sometimes I feel like I'm drowning. Help!!!

musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net