ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Questions as a new special ed teacher - Help!!!
View Single Post

musicmeg222

Old 03-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really like the binder idea you provided. I only have 8 students on my caseload, so I wouldn't have too many binders and they would help me keep track of everything. This morning, I created a document and typed all of the students goals for reading, writing, and math into a document, so I will have them all together in front of me. It's much easier than referring to each of their individual IEPs. I will definitely try this binder idea.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for instruction? I want to focus on the student's goals, but it's different since they are at various levels. Should I continue writing multiplication problems on the board for them to copy down and solve? Should I include 2 digit by 2 digit for one student's IEP goals and have the other students only working on 2 digit by 1 digit? That doesn't seem appropriate, but it's difficult with the different levels. I've also used a few worksheets with everyone working on 2 digit by 1 digit multiplication problems. Should I continue with worksheets?

And what about reading/writing? The last week before spring break, the students and I read a story and they answered comprehension questions by writing in their notebooks. They also wrote about the story. This seemed effective except that I wanted each student to take turns reading, so that I could get a better understanding of their reading abilities, but it was hard to get everyone to read. Most of the students didn't want to read aloud (probably because of their difficulty with word recognition and being able to read).

Spring break is over and school resumes on Monday. I still don't have any lesson plans for either language arts or math. I'm supposed to meet with my mentor again soon who will help me with this, but I haven't heard anything yet. I better contact her. I need some help! I'm not sure what to do regarding lesson planning or instruction.

Help!!
musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net