ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Random questions about special education
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You really need to just ask the people at your school as the process is different everywhere. At my first school, they didn't let us fill in much of the IEP prior to the meeting because they considered it "pre-determining" without the parent present. I was allowed to fill in present levels and everything else was supposed to be decided at the meeting, with the IEP to be completed and sent home afterwards. In my current district, each section is to be completed prior to the meeting. Parent input is added in during the meeting and the IEP is required to be finalized and sent home at the end of the meeting.

At my first school, I was expected to run all of the meetings. In my current school, if it's an annual I'll run it but if it's an initial or tri the psych is there and she often wants to facilitate. I still have to do a lot of talking as I'm the one talking about the goals, levels, etc. I personally would never have time in an IEP meeting to take pencil/paper notes, nor would this be required at my school. If we were adding in notes, we'd add them directly to the IEP. If this is an expectation at your school, I'm guessing there would be a designated note taker. I can't imagine one person leading the meeting and taking notes the whole time.

The pp had a good idea about sitting in on someone else's IEP first if you can. It will make a lot more sense if you can see the process in person. Even if no one else has any scheduled before your first meeting, I'd still recommend sitting in on someone else's to make sure you're doing future meetings correctly. IME each district has their own little "rules" that are set in stone for them. At the very least, if you're not able to observe another meeting first, you need to have another sped teacher at the school go over the process with you and at least have someone sitting in on your first meeting to make sure you don't miss anything.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net