ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Special Education Lesson Plans
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 03-24-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How much have you reached out to the other sped teachers at your school? Can you spend any time shadowing them? Meeting with them? We can try to speculate here, but each district and even each school has vastly different expectations for what happens in sped. I feel like I've said in all of your threads that you need to be asking these questions to the other sped teachers at the school. It's not fair for your students for you to just pick some skill at random and decide they'll spend the block working on that.

Figure out what resources are available to you and what the school's expectations are. Some places, it's for you to mirror the gen ed curriculum. Some places, it's for you to do direct skills-based instruction to fill in holes. Here, the IEP goals are written pretty broadly and not meant to really be a curriculum map. Yes, I have students with things like subtraction goals, but that doesn't mean I spend a year only working on subtraction with that student. That's simply one way to measure their progress in math. You need to be doing assessments to figure out where to start and when to move on to the next skill. See if your school has any universal assessments they use. Even if they don't, I'm sure the other sped teachers can help you out with something they use.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net