ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is it just me, or is "resource" changing
View Single Post

Kinderkr4zy

Is it just me, or is "resource" changing
Old 04-14-2019, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, I was in resource as a kid and to me resource was where you went for all or part of the content in your specific area of disability only. I was only in there for math, but I was in for the whole math lesson. I did not work on the same math as my peers I was taught specialized curriculum with like 7 other kids. Other kids went for ELA. No one was in there all morning or most of the day-if that was the level you needed you were in a self contained class that gave special instruction all day/all morning with science and social studies push outs. Resource was not a sped catch all when I went to it.

Now it seems like there is no self contained class for kids who are far below in all areas, self contained classes are now just for kids who have moderate to severe ID and/or severe severe severe behaviors and they only serve like the lowest 10% of the sped population.

Even the kids with more moderate autism who can barley function in the regular class just go to resource all morning and are now rostered to a regular class even though they are only in the regular class half of the day or less. Low functioning kids now just spend most of the day in resource, and now the resource teacher is totally over whelmed with 2 classes going at once and serving more moderate and severe than mild students. Resource is now 1. the kids who come in just for little while do to a specific learning disability, and 2. the kids who are in there most of the day because they actually need SDC but that class now is only nonverbal ID kids who arent really working on academics and these kids can handle some low level academics. The room is really full and very noisy. Resource teachers are now many kids main teacher. Some kids only ever seem to work with a para, who has no special training. Kids also seem to make less progress.

Is this just my area or has the concept of resource changed? Is resource just an over stuffed amalgam of what was 2 programs so that parents dont have to feel like their kids are in sdc classes because of stigma and the inclusions mania even though they cant do any of the academic in the regular class? Because around here resource now serves 90% of the kids who used to be in special day class with only the most severe kids still being self contain class and now LD kids are trying to get support in room full of kids who still dont speak and wear diapers and are rolling around on the floor having fits a lot of the day. What happened to the class where kids could just get all instruction slower, at a lower level, and in small groups.

In fact those kids who just need slower instruction in small groups with targeted instruction to meet their specific learning needs and remediation of skills that are 1-3 years below grade level are just let in the regular classroom and the regular teacher just has to try to give them the instruction that they used to be able to get from a special teacher.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net