ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is it just me, or is "resource" changing
View Single Post

Kinderkr4zy

Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SO, I'm not trying to get hung up on labels-I guess what I am saying is that there no longer seems to be a place just for kids without intellectual/cognitive disability who still need extra help.

What was once the room where kids with LD's got support and specialized instruction is now a room with kids who are severely disabled and getting most of their instruction in what was once the mild to moderate room just to avoid having to say they are in a special class. The push out room still seems to have like 16+ kids in it at any given time and 10 or more are in there for 4 hours a day.

Those higher need kids seem to also take up a lot of the sped teachers time and the LD kids just work with a para and try to ignore all the severe behavior and thats going on around them or they dont get pull out at all. I guess I was hoping that there was still a place for kids more on the mild end of the LD spectrum but it seems like they have all been kept in GE and thus make less progress. Then I sit back and wonder, why go through the process of getting them identified if they wont get any actual help-they will just tell me to accommodate them in ways that I already was accommodating them but to no avail or they will get pushed in to class that is so full ans chaotic and only get a para with zero college teaching them.

I'm just feeling frustrated with it all lately I guess.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net