ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Homework consequence too harsh?
View Single Post

twin2

Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The school system I work for does require homework to be assigned in elementary schools both from language arts and math, and all students are to turn in a reading log. Homework can only take about fifteen minutes. They do not require the homework to actually be completed and penalties for not doing so are a no-no. Teachers are encouraged to offer incentives, though many do not.

I am not a fan of reading logs because many parents just sign off whether the kid read books or not. If I were to require a reading log, I would not require parents to sign and there would be no penalty given by me if a student did not log a book everday. Honesty is important to me, and reading logs puts temptation before a parent and child. If they sign the reading log just to keep their kid out of trouble, they are sending a message to their child that it's okay to lie when you "have to". A lot of students will list books they didn't read and the parents have no clue if their child read. Many people don't agree with my viewpoint, and that's ok, but it's how I feel.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net