ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Incentives or Rewards for 6th graders
View Single Post

musicmeg222

Incentives or Rewards for 6th graders
Old 04-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a special education teacher who does both inclusion and resource for 6th graders. I took over the position for a teacher who had to move in the middle of the school year. The students have had many different subs for several months. When I first started in March, the behavior was out of control. I understand it's been difficult for these students as they have had different subs and a variety of people in charge and in control of their classroom.

Overall, the behavior has been improving. Sometimes I still have some students not following directions or out of their seat when they are told to sit down.

Should I provide incentives to encourage better behavior or even rewards for those students who are following classroom rules and listening to directions? I'm not sure if this is something I should consider or not. I'm not even sure what types of incentives or little things 6th graders would enjoy.

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions. What do you guys think? If it's a good idea, should I start with incentives to help make the behaviors even better and then move to rewards as the good behaviors continue? What things should I provide? I'm looking for something somewhat cheap, but enjoyable by students in 6th grade.

Let me know!

musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net