ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Homework consequence too harsh?
View Single Post

Kinderkr4zy

Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
either teachers ...don't know anything about hw, or they are too lazy to find out.
I think that we dont need to teacher bash and name call here. I work 10-12 hours a day and do indeed spend my free time reading books about teaching as well as attending conferences and seminars that I pay for out of my own pocket. I dont appreciate being name called and shamed and I think that as teachers we should at least afford our colleagues the same treatment as we expect our student to give each other. I am neither lazy or ignorant.

I still assign reading and math fact practice. I did no homework last year and my students made less progress and scored lower overall on the end of the year summative assessments. All the research in the world wont change my experience with this. 15 minutes of reading and 15 minutes of fact fluency practice does make a difference over time (3rd grade).

Though OP I dont think you should bench 6 year old over homework. Have you thought of opening your room 10 minutes early for those that dont have their homework-that way, by the start of class everyone has had a chance to get their work done (I cant imagine that you are giving more than 10 minutes of practice/reading to kids this age)
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net