ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Homework consequence too harsh?
View Single Post

Fenwick

Old 04-19-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
I am neither lazy or ignorant.
If you are realizing a lot of achievement and cooperation via a hw program I'm all for it. I can see I erred and should have used a qualifier, "Some teachers...", when paraphrasing Kohn. I know from my own experience some colleagues I worked with were not lazy. They were very lazy. And some were lacking in knowledge or awareness when it came to considering homework in any form except the way it was done last year. Still others approached hw at 0%, adding what was needed depending on the motley crew that showed up versus 100% no matter who shows up. In any event, I was not attempting to bash any individual teacher, yet, in rereading I can see how it may have come across that way. My apologies.

Quote:
I still assign reading and math fact practice. I did no homework last year and my students made less progress and scored lower overall on the end of the year summative assessments. All the research in the world wont change my experience with this
This is similar to why some teachers refuse to entertain anything that may confirm or amend their hw method. In other words, there could be many reasons besides homework that determine student achievement. Quality of instruction comes to mind. Engagement rate could influence it. Work habits and cooperation can have a lot to do with it. For myself, what I can really say is while students were not assigned hw they did better. Whether the direct cause was due to hw is another matter. My guess, although I have no data to confirm, is I was able to tighten my lessons so hw was completed in class with me available for monitoring and help.

Quote:
15 minutes of reading and 15 minutes of fact fluency practice does make a difference over time (3rd grade).
I will argue it's not the quantity of hw. . Instead, my money says you have the ability to organize the quality of 15 minutes in such a way it may not seem like a lot of time but, in fact, is most likely learnin' 'em as opposed to mass practice. This also aligns with Kohn's research which shows small, spaced practice produces better results.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net