ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What would you pick?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I'm an elementary teacher so neither of those appeal to me . My first thought would be the second one, because severe behavior isn't my cup of tea at all. However, I'd wonder how many kids you'll have in that second setting that still demonstrate severe behaviors, even though they are classified as "mild needs." We have quite a few at my school, and it will be harder to deal with them in a setting where you have 30 other kids in the class and are expected to be teaching rigorous content.

I'd also wonder if you'd face more pressure as far as academic achievement goes in the second position. Self-contained rooms are much easier to fly under the radar in. IDK if it's like this where you are, but here the expectations for mild/moderate are insane. Our kids are expected to perform as if they don't have disabilities.

The other thing to consider is how okay you are with only having the type of student you'd have at the first position. Although I have several students with major behaviors, I also have a lot of kids who are sweet and work really hard. Personally, those are the kids that keep me going. I'd burn out very quickly in an environment where 100% of my students were behavior issues.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net