ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - P proposed something re: service delivery
View Single Post

Haley23

P proposed something re: service delivery
Old 05-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I had my end of the year eval meeting today. Thankfully, all went well . The other sped teacher at my school is leaving, and a first year teacher is replacing her. I currently work with K-3 and the other teacher has done 4-6. Based on numbers for next year, which are way heavy on the younger grades, we've been talking about me doing K-2 and the other person doing 3-6 next year.

My P said that she wasn't sure if or how this would work, but she had an idea that I could do all of the "intervention groups" and this other teacher could focus completely on scaffolding the gen ed curriculum and helping kids access that. She raved about my ability to do direct instruction and teach kids how to read. She said that she wants all of the kids to have access to that, not just the ones in my grade levels. She also wants us to focus on scaffolding gen ed/helping kids access higher level content, but it sounded like she just doesn't want to lose me in the mostly intervention role I'm doing now.

I don't really know what to do think. On the one hand, I'm all in for doing the pull outs. I've posted before that I LOATHE pushing in and feel like it's a huge waste of my skills, so if she wants to move towards that but keep me out of it, I'm all for it. I've actually really wanted to get an interventionist job and just haven't been able to find one.

On the other hand, I haven't had to work with older kids for years, and frankly those 5th-6th grade attitudes aren't my cup of tea. I like just having the little ones in my current position. I also am not sure how things would look for the other person. Doing groups for me makes sense, but what specifically would this other person be doing? Pushing in? Doing comprehension groups? For either of us, that's a lot to do with 7 grade levels. And what does that look like as far as case management and meeting minutes/doing IEPs, etc. P said that she wasn't sure how it would work for meeting minutes.

Does anyone share grade levels or students with other sped teachers? How does it work for you? What do you think of this idea?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net