ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What Do I Do About Girl Drama?
View Single Post

tangolily

Two Ideas for you
Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In general, 3rd graders are great. But they are growing up and they do have social learning mile markers that they need to learn how to handle. If 3rd grade boys have a problem, it generally revolves around the physical nature of recess games or teasing. When 3rd grade girls have problems, they are "girl drama"type problems.

I have found that I need to use some of my social studies time to teach/counsel/discuss social behavior, i.e. getting along with others. Last year, my girls got a lot out of the book, Smart Girl's Guide to Friendship Troubles. It seemed to help them know that the problems they were experiencing were normal and it wasn't just them.

Also, once I'd had enough of "a new crisis every day after lunch that took a half a period to sort out," I got a fancy box and some notepaper and told them they could write me a note anytime things weren't going well and then I could read them when I wasn't actually supposed to be teaching. After reading the notes, sometimes we had a class discussion, sometimes I shared a chapter out of a book that was helpful, and sometimes all it took was a quick private conversation with the offenders - and another quick conversation to let the offended one I had read their note and taken care of it.

It is also helpful to let parents know that this is a normal part of growing up and enlist their help at home by discussing positive ways to deal with these sorts of issues if/when they arise. I would suggest they get a copy of the Smart Girls Guide to share with their daughter.
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net