ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Have you ever had a concussion?
View Single Post

Alicia G

Wide range of symptoms
Old 08-29-2017, 10:05 AM

A concussion can range from feeling off for a few hours or a day to lifetime effects. I know someone who's son received a concussion (hit by baseball) when he was 10 - spent 10 weeks in the hospital in a coma. He's in his upper 20s now and is mentally impaired and might never live independently. Sweet young man, limited vocabulary, slow in his actions and speech.

I got a concussion and in the middle of this range. Nearly 6 months ago, I fell skiing (don't remember the fall) and knocked myself out (yes, wearing a helmet). Ambulance ride, ER visit. No brain bleed so they sent me home.

So, fast forward 5.5 months: ears have not stopped ringing, daily headaches ranging from mild to just below migraine, some dizziness and nausea (but they are getting better), horrible aversion to fluorescent lights (some worse than others) and loud noises such as crowds. Much more tired than before. Eyestrain after about 20 minutes on the computer (must take a 3-4 hour break before attempting again - so why am I on here now?) And I understandd the train of thought issues - I do them too (glad the frig has an open-door alarm on it, never needed it until I got the concussion and now about once a week I leave it open). I forget words and historical facts/people. Sigh. It's harder to read an article or story and follow it and sometimes I have to go back and read it again, this time slowly...

My GP said that something like 80-90% of concussions resolve in the first 10 - 20 days. Those that don't, resolve in 18 months or so (MANY much sooner) - basically where you are at at the 18 month point is what you have to live with. Very few people have permanent effects.

Oh, until you are symptom-free, try to avoid any situations likely to give you a second concussion. Having a concussion while still healing from another one is quite dangerous.

I have gone through 12 weeks of LENS therapy which might have helped a little and about 15 weeks of physical therapy (usually an injury involving a concussion has other injuries as well) and a cast on my left hand for a torn ligament that didn't heal with a splint.

So, hopefully your symptoms resolve very soon.

Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net