ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Public vs Charter
View Single Post

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-15-2018, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I moved the other way. I started at private school because I wasn't fully credentialed. After a few years I started m credential program and when I finished I got hired at a charter school. It was a hot mess. long days with a lot of needing to come in on Saturdays. We had no curriculum or pacing guides and no budget for supplies was given. We had major additional duties like SST coordinator and running 2 books fairs a year and coaching multiple after school sports teams and none of this was paid or given a stipend and they were not voluntary and you did even get to pick which one you did. Also We were not supported at all. The pay was much lower than public schools and we had no union or collective bargaining. We also had no tenure or job security at all. The Principal had never been an admin before and was totally not ready to be a principal. I heard she was a great teacher once-well she was a terrible admin. They also kept costs down but having 2/3 of the staff as interns so the whole staff was in survival mode all the time.

My switch to public was heavenly by comparison. When people at my school complain now I always think how good we have it compared to charter school teachers.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net