ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Anyone have a guess when Ca will move to a level below and we can reopen?
View Single Post

Gromit

Old 01-10-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Just my opinion, but one could compare going into a beauty salon to going into a grocery store, etc. at this time.
I disagree.

In a grocery store, the building is larger to minimize viral loading, you are 6-8 feet away from other people (at least if you're following guidelines, you are), and you can be in and out quickly. Plus food is a requirement for people.

In a salon, you are in close contact with another person for an hour or more in a smaller building, and getting a haircut is not a requirement.

What are the etceteras? Restaurants? Non-grocery retail stores? A restaurant is comparable because you're in a small building for an extended period. And it's even worse because you're unmasked and talking continuously. And I agree that you should absolutely not be eating inside a restaurant right now.

Non-grocery retail, you can be in and out and stay far away from others. So I'd say that it's not directly comparable. However, I would also argue that she shouldn't be browsing retail stores and hanging out with the staff or other shoppers either. Not in Southern California or other areas with out of control spread. High positivity rates means not enough testing is being done to stop asymptomatic and presymptomatic exposures. Plus her region's hospitals are desperately overwhelmed. To be doing these things or gathering in private groups is the height of irresponsibility.

Quote:
Bottom line is that entering any building for any length of time where there are others carries the chance of catching or spreading the virus.
Exactly. Which is why "stop swapping air" is the #1 guideline we should be adhering to, especially in Southern California
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net