ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 2nd Plasma Donation
View Single Post

eagles23

2nd Plasma Donation
Old 01-14-2021, 10:09 PM

Well, that didn't go exactly as planned. I had absolutely no issues the first time other than the migraine I had when I went, but the donation procedure was fine and I felt perfectly normal afterwards. Today I noticed that the needle didn't feel really secure. I told the first person that checked on me my concern and she lifted the gauze that was covering the needle incision and said it looked fine. I said it just felt like it might move and she assured me that there were two pieces of tape holding it in place. As the donation went on my arm began to feel really tight and I was hoping the end was near so they would take the needle out. I just happened to glance at the gauze and could see that my arm looked swollen, so I told nurse. She came, lifted the gauze, saw that my arm had a huge knot the size of an egg above the needle, and said, 'Oh, Lord.' Not exactly what you want to hear!!! Apparently the needle had slipped and the fluids were just entering my arm causing a hematoma. They had to write up an incident report and said I would be getting a call tomorrow to check on me. Also not comforting. I was told there would be a huge bruise- which has started forming- and it is SO sore tonight!! I am alternating heat and ice, but more alarming is that I get really light-headed every time I stand up. I was supposed to be able to go back in 4 weeks, but because of this I have to wait 8 weeks. I will wait and see how this plays out before I decide, but this may have been my second and final donation.

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net