ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is it possible there'd be no chemistry?
View Single Post

Starr

Old 01-17-2021, 05:24 PM

I think we hear about the happily ever after stories! I'm sure there were times when people finally met in person long ago and didn't feel any sparks.
Then again, I think people were more pragmatic then and had already made up their mind to commit.
I read an interesting memoir once--the writer had been a European mail order bride in the very late 1800s, I think, and was brought over to marry a fellow European who had immigrated several years before and was living on the prairie with some members of his family. It was fascinating but sad to read the epilogue at the end where one of their children added on his reminiscences (the mother wrote it in her old age just for her children to read, but at some point they published it) that once their children were grown and they had sold their farm and retired, his parents basically separated and spent the rest of their lives apart and living with different children in their homes. So, they had made a life for themselves, and while it wasn't this desperately unhappy marriage it didn't sound like a happy one, either.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net