ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - SPED Teacher & Case Manger!?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 01-22-2021, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have heard of these magical places where "case manager" is an entirely separate job, and even heard that sometimes these people get paid MORE than teachers, just to case manage?? Or only certain sped teachers have to case manage, and they get an extra stipend for this? Not in my state. Sped teachers are case managers and in charge of everything, and we don't get any extra pay.

We also don't have diagnosticians and sped teachers do the bulk of formal evaluations- all of the formal academic testing, parent/student input, observations, MTSS data, informal academic data, etc. OT/SLP do their own testing and add in their information to the eval report/IEP if warranted. Psych does cognitive, but my district has gone towards only wanting to do cognitive if we actually suspect a cognitive disability, so they rarely have to do it. Psych does social/emotional if warranted.

This year everything is messed up because of Covid, of course. Our second sped teacher got pulled to teach in the e-learning school, leaving me with 45 kids in K-6. Thankfully my P is amazing and really worked on making it the best situation possible. I'm only actually teaching/providing services in one cohort, while interventionists are providing the academic services in other cohorts (ESSA allows this). I am case managing the entire school and doing all of the testing. That part is still more work, but at least I'm not figuring out how to teach 45 kids in 7 grade levels on top of it.

This year one of the other buildings hired a sped teacher coming from another state. She LOST HER MIND over having to case manage in addition to teaching. She actually kept emailing our sped director asking when she'd be hiring case managers/was constantly complaining to the rest of the team. Of course no one had any sympathy because around here no one has heard of case managers being separate (I only know that's "a thing" from reading here). She ended up quitting like 2 months in .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net