ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Favorite Picture Book & Activity -2nd Grade
View Single Post

runteacher

Picture Book
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read "The Great Tulip Trade" by Beth Wagner Brust. It's a historical fiction book about the tulip trading that went on in Holland in the 1600s. I love this book because it's a great lead into our economic standards we have to teach in 2nd grade. I read this book in the fall and then ask the students to each bring in a tulip bulb. We plant the bulbs outside our classroom window and wait until they grow in the spring. We also plant several experiments like: upside down tulip bulb, old tulip bulb, tulip bulb cut in half, etc. to see which ones will grow. The Journey North website has an entire journal that I print off and have kids record our observations and learnings throughout the entire year. This also becomes a mapping activity on the Journey North website because as you plant, emerge, and bloom, your school is marked on the map for everyone to see. This has been an awesome project that all started from a simple little picture book. If you try it, I'm sure you'll be impressed by all that you can teach from this book!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net