ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Meaningful Connections
View Single Post

VAreader

Connections
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

MODEL MODEL MODEL with books that you love and you think will have common themes among the students in your class.

I read the book Fireflies by Julie Brinkloe as almost everyone has caught fireflies before. I've also read the book Not Afraid of Dogs. I have also read Eve Bunting's Twinnies as almost every student has dealt with sibling rivalry.

I model with a book called Fog Cat because I love the beach, Maine, and cats. I do a lot of modeling with Fog Cat and discuss what it makes me think of. The next day I go back and retell the story with a picture walk.

I use T charts making one column quotes from book and the other column my connections. We then go through the connections determining which ones are helpful and which ones are not.

Then I do it again with another book.

Depending on how the class is responding, I then do a whole class connections lesson with sticky notes and we create a post it note poster and then go back and decide which connections help further understanding.

We do several lessons like this and I allow students to respond to their own reading using whichever reading comprehension response they choose.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net