ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How do you teach reading skills with strategies?
View Single Post

AMurry

How do you teach reading skills with strategies?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 3rd grade and have been using reader's workshop to teach reading comprehension strategies for several years. Every year I struggle with how to make sure I teach the reading skills (cause-effect, sequencing, character analysis, etc) required in my state standards. In the past I have taught two separate reading mini-lessons (one on strategies and one on skills) followed by independent and partner reading time. Unfortunately, my Reading block is shorter this year and I do not have time to do two separate lessons.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to incorporate the skill lessons into the strategy lessons. I would like for my focus to still be on the comprehension strategies and somehow weave the skills into the reader's workshop foundation I've already established. However, my students need lots of practice with "deeper thinking" with the reading skills due to an increase in rigor in state testing.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments on how you are able to do this in your classroom.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net