ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Starting a 4th grade Poety Unit
View Single Post

1956BD

Poetry
Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like to start by reading Love That Dog. It is a great short read and the character changes his attitude about poetry from a negative one to a positive one.

Then I like to have them write short poems, following a pattern. Ones without rhyme are easier to start with in my opinion. The haiku, cinquain and diamente are a few good formats. I like to have them write about the literature we have recently read or something we are studying in science or social studies.

http://ettcweb.lr.k12.nj.us/forms/newpoem.htm

This site has great templates to follow.

I also love a book by Betsy Franco about Math Poetry. The Fractions of Me poem is especially cute. It is a great way to combine math and writing.

I like to share poem with students. I read them aloud and we discuss. I try to include poems with every social studies and science unit.

I also like students to chose their own poems by their favorite authors to share with the class. Most like Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky.

I also use some poems in spelling. I give my students a copy of the poem for the week. We choral read it together. I have chosen words from the poem to be our spelling words for the week. I use the poem for a practice reading fluency grade at the end of the week, as well as for spelling test. We read the poem aloud together each day. Then on Friday each student reads the poem to me for a grade. This is normally done while we are in computer lab so the other students are all engaged. Then I have time to work one on one with each student. I use the attached rubric for grading. Someone on PT shared this years ago and I keep sharing it because it is so easy to use.

Poetry 4 Kids and Giggle Poetry are great sites for poetry for children.

Superteacherworksheets has some great poetry comprehension worksheets. They can be found under reading comprehension by grade level. This site used to be free, but now there is a $20 charge per year.

In my opinion, poetry should be included all year around across the curriculum.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf fluency_rubric.pdf (15.3 KB, 262 views)

Last edited by 1956BD; 01-28-2012 at 11:15 PM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net