ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Does CCSS Iniative kill Reader's Worksop?
View Single Post

BXCoach

Maybe some clarity
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been working with the CCSS for two years now in a school that has always delivered instruction in literacy through RW/WW. As it was previously posted the CCSS does not necessarily tell you what to teach content wise rather what skills the students are expected to be able to master by the end of the grade. In many ways the skills spiral. For example on middle level, Writing Standard 1 (which is in essence Argumentative Writing) in grade 6 they are expected to simply make a claim, in grade 7 they are expected to be able to make a claim and acknowledge the counter claim(s), in grade 8 they are expected to make a claim, acknowledge the counter claim(s) and be able to articulate the the counter argument.

In regards to your specific question on t-s, t-t, t-w, we continue to teach such skills even on middle level, because many teachers find it a good way to scaffold such learning to students as they adapt to curriculum that is non-fiction heavy (esp SwD's and ELL's). Tangolily's post makes a great point - it is about understanding the text better not just connecting to it. While the Common Core doesn't explicitly say "don't teach it" it also doesn't tell you, that you shouldn't - I think that many teachers rely on t-s when the Core expects the theme threads (t-t) more as Owlroom5 said.

In our own development of our curriculum (because we have control over that) we use the CCSS as a foundation for the overarching RW/WW's units (i.e. - argumentative writing, or literary essay) but we determine what texts they will read and more importantly the entry points into learning.

If your school uses blooms as a means for scaffolding, I would encourage you to check out Norman Webb's Depth of Knowledge (DoK) wheel - it is a good way to look at scaffolded learning to engage in higher cognitive levels of thinking while still providing a point of entry into the content and skills you expect your students to be able to do by the end of the lesson and the unit.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net