ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - IEP question
Thread: IEP question
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 09-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you talked to her? I have had four principals and none of them have allowed me to start pull out groups right away. They want kids in their regular rooms learning new routines/procedures/rules. I am typically given a date to start that's 2-3 weeks in. I know a lot of our teachers think that I am getting "extra planning" during the first few weeks and that couldn't be farther from the truth. I am running like crazy dealing with all the new transfers and paperwork. I always appreciate just starting my regular schedule because it's actually a lot less work.

My district requires us to do this absurd DIBELS DEEP test for all students who are "red" each year. It takes at least 45 minutes per child. A couple of years ago I started asking if I could at least start pulling my kids 1:1 just for that testing during the first couple of weeks when I'm not allowed to do regular groups so that I don't finally start regular groups only to have to spend the entire time testing.

As for testing kids 1:1, I've always done that unless it's something like an intervention block where all students in the grade level leave and my kids would have nowhere else to go. I personally feel like it would be absurd to pull them out of class where learning is happening to sit in my room doing busywork/i pad apps with headphones on while I test just one child. BUT if a teacher was up in arms about it, probably not a battle I'd fight and I'd do just that. Another factor is what kind of testing it is. Something like the DEEP test, not as big of a deal if a teacher is going to insist on her students sitting on i pads in my room. For something like a formal Woodcock Johnson for an evaluation, I wouldn't be able to budge on that because there are certain setting requirements you have to meet. The results would be invalid if it wasn't a 1:1 testing session.

I always say that any date I start services, I have at least one teacher furious with me that it's "too early" and a least one furious that it's "too late." It's very difficult to work with so many teachers who often make assumptions rather than just coming to talk to me.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net