ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - My nightmare
Thread: My nightmare
View Single Post

Ima Teacher

Old 09-07-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do not engage with irate parents. Luckily I have had very few over the years, but I use a standard response. As soon as the irate behavior begins, I say, ďI cannot continue this conversation under these circumstances.Ē Then I walk away, hang up, send the email. Iím done. Many years ago I picked that tidbit up in a district publication about civility. It works great. Of course, I donít see the reaction for calls and emails, but in person it really makes the parent go . Sometimes they calm down and apologize. Most of the time they just go away.

Iíd get as much in writing as possible, that way you donít have ďhe said/she saidĒ moments with your principal if it gets to the point where you have to discuss situations with building admin or district admin. Ask for suggestions for solving issues. Get questions and answers IN WRITING.

I really like the CHAMPs management program, and it works for any age. It is great for maintaining consistency in the classroom. Keeps me on task, too, because Iíve found that high-maintenance classes keep me on edge and make it harder for me to follow my own procedures some days.

Isnít the meantime, take it a day at a time. Honestly, sometimes you just take it an hour at a time. Deal with school at school. Donít take it home. Itís not worth it. Get the sweet kids (and their parents) on your side. Usually those low kids will try their darnedest for you when they know you care about them. The stinkers are the same way, but they can take longer to win over sometimes. Do you have access to their K teachers? They might have pointers.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net