ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - My nightmare
Thread: My nightmare
View Single Post

mooba1

Old 09-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Develop a relationship with each of these kids, but keep in mind you won’t reach all of them. It will be through no fault of your own, so practice letting that go.

In that vein, one thing I did when I was teaching full time was to chose 4 kids every day to eat lunch with me in the classroom. Every. Single. Day. Except. Fridays. That was my day off. It nearly killed me, but I did it, and that class had the best gains of almost any class I’d ever taught. The kids knew I was invested in them, and we got to know each other very well. They got some extra attention, and would tell things that wouldn’t have ever come out with the entire class listening.

I had popsicle sticks with everyone’s name, and I’d chose 4 random sticks each day until the cup was empty and then I’d start over. In this way, I always had changing groups, so sooner or later, everyone would eat with everyone else. I taught table manners and social skills during that 25 minutes, and it was a real game changer.

I wish you the very best of luck, and can only say for you to take it a day or an hour at a time. (((Hugs)))

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net