ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Favorites
Thread: Favorites
View Single Post

NJ Teacher

Difficult to answer but...
Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When my principal passed away, the district hired a much younger woman. I noticed right away that she gravitated towards, and valued the opinion of, staff members closer to her age. She also developed favorites among those who could enhance her position, hence two teachers who were very good with technology became high on her list. They would put together her presentations, for example. And of course, with a staff of younger teachers overall, she had no shortage of volunteers to do things to make the school (and her by reflection) look good.

I was a teacher who was quiet and flew under the radar. She never seemed to value my thoughts, despite my many years in the classroom. I noticed that while other people at my grade level got opportunities, she passed me over for things that my grade level wanted me to do, such as serve as the classroom to be observed by the writing consultant, choosing instead the teacher she felt was the superstar of the grade. I eventually stopped trying to enter the game, knowing full-well that nothing I did would make a difference. I think you should just be yourself. Volunteer for those opportunities that interest you, be a good team player, and enjoy your own students.

What I did discover was that many times, being under the radar made my life easier, even if not as much was expected of me in her eyes.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net