ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Need some advice
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You'd need a separate degree for that. My best friend did her MA in counseling and I believe it was a 3.5 year program that you could complete while still teaching full time (presumably it would be a bit shorter if you were going to school full time rather than also working).

I would also consider the job market. She thought it was a good move because her very rural school had trouble finding a replacement when their counselor retired. That turned out to be a pretty unique situation. Thankfully she did finally get a school counseling job this year, but it took 3 years to find the position after she graduated from her MA program.

We're in different states, but just from my own experience, I see a LOT of people gravitating toward jobs that will allow them to be outside of the classroom. I really wanted to be a reading interventionist and looked for a few years, but there was almost nothing to apply for because so many classroom teachers are trying to transfer into something like that, and the positions end up being filled internally. I'm very glad I didn't spend time/money getting a separate degree since it didn't work out.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net