ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Give me Five
Thread: Give me Five
View Single Post

brigita

Rules for Good Listening--Give Me Five
Old 10-06-2005, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a poster that I purchased for a couple of dollars at the teacher supply store that has a boy happily sitting in his seat in learning mode. The title says Rules for Good Listening: "Eyes are Watching, Ears are Listening, Lips are closed, Hands are Still, Feet are Quiet". I always say to my kids, "Now let's see who is sitting like the boy in the picture!" They perk right up--with a smile and all (just like the boy in the picture). Sometimes I sing it: Eyes are watching, Ears are listening, Lips are closed, Hands are still, Feet are really quiet, you should really try it--listening well, listening well! It is to the tune of "Frere Jacques" (Are You Sleeping?). My students respond to this very well. Also, when it is particularly noisy, such as when we are having a party or doing art, I sing, "Everybody, put your hand up, put your hand up, put your hand up. Everybody, put your hand up, put your hand up, up, up!". This works so much better than raising my voice over the raucous. I hope this is what you were looking for.
brigita is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net