ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - tutor
Thread: tutor
View Single Post

Lillybabe

Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I might not be the norm but I'd start all the way at the beginning. Do a full phonics screener with letter sound assessment. Then depending on how that assessed them start all the way at the beginning with reading three letter words. I found when I worked with title I students that this worked well. Even if it feels like going too far backward. I had students make quick progress. Due to the fact you are only filling in holes (typically) you move much quicker through the phonics rules than you would with someone who hasn't had any instruction. I tried fluency, sight word instruction, etc. and found that often it just reinforced word guessing habits. If the word is truly a sight word (there aren't really that many) than of course teach it but otherwise teach them the rules behind how to sound it out. You can do a lot in an hour one-on-one. Though one night a week isn't ideal as they may lose some of what you taught between lessons. If parents are willing I would see if there is some sort of reading practice you can assign between lessons. Even just 10-15 minutes a night reinforcing whatever you taught would help a ton.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net