ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Small group help please!
View Single Post

tricewaldorf

for management sake
Old 06-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't really like the kids moving around in the room to get to a center too much, so I have their centers in crates. I use the black milk crates from the cafeteria. But in each crate I put 2 activities that they can finish. They have an option of completing 2 but it is mandatory that they complete at least one and they input their work in their "Center folder" at the end of their work time for me to review at my leisure. While practicing the first couple of weeks of school it is important that you review random student's center folder at the end of each guided reading time whole group to show the quality of work and give further clarification of what you are looking for. Also make positive comments as to which groups were doing their independent work or projects the best, the most quiet, or the most cooperative with their peers. Examples of crates

CRATE 1. Reading/ Graphic Organizer/ Story map (includes differentiated leveled books, and various organizers for the children to create from their reading. Most times I'm using an organizer that we currently using during whole group reading or one we have used in the past ex. character, setting, problem, solution

CRATE 2. Word work/word building: focusing on spelling or high frequency words, letter cards, white boards(mock spelling tests), phonics activity(sorting,flip book,sorting cut n paste), chart paper sentence fill in the blank, etc

CRATE 3. Writing center: Writing prompts and story paper, sentence puzzles, newspapers, magazines, etc

Crate 4. Smartboard center (list of websites that can be used on smartboard with groups of 5 or less

Crate 5. Kindle time with students practicing on www.studyisland.com or taking AR tests

Math

Crate 1. buddy game(most times this is a basic facts flash card game and game board with pieces)

Crate 2. buddy game(most times this is a basic facts flash card game and game board with pieces)

Crate 3. white boards and dry erase markers (students can test each other on basic facts or ill have problems on chart paper they have to use manipulatives to solve, or students will write in words how to solve the problem step by step

Crate 4. Smartboard center (list of websites that can be used on smartboard with groups of 5 or less

Crate 5. Kindle time with students practicing on www.studyisland.com or taking AR tests
tricewaldorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net