ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Worried about next year
View Single Post

cruxian

Old 02-28-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been on interviewing committees a few times and have had people apply such as yourself. Here's what would have concerned people in our committee (and we would have been the first to admit that these obstacles can be both addressed and overcome but probably need to be acknowledged):
*Technology. Acknowledge that you don't have it a lot at your school currently but are excited about the possibility of using it in your classroom in the upcoming school year. Be able to explain specific ways that you'd use it in your classroom if you worked for them. Learn to use it at home if necessary and explain how you'd implement it if you had greater access to it. If you're a quick learner, look into it yourself and see if you can learn it on your own.
*Diversity. I'm not sure if this is true where you are but there is a substantial difference where I live between the diversity of public schools versus private schools. Teachers we interviewed who only worked in private schools tended to lack experience in working with ELL students, students with SPED needs, and a diverse student body.
I'm not sure that the age alone is an issue. At least at our school, admin looked at the makeup of the team. She'd hesitate to hire someone completely new if the team was relatively inexperienced. I'm sure there are other situations where your experience would be an asset (and others where it wouldn't be as important but that would likely be true with just about any characteristic).
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net