ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - A moving question
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 PM

I'm hopefully moving into a condo or townhouse this summer from an apartment. I'm not looking at houses because I don't want to deal with mowing the grass, shoveling snow, etc. The HOA will take care of all outdoor maintenance.

For several years, the maintenance piece was what kept me in an apartment vs. looking to own- the convenience of just filling out an online form anytime something went wrong, and then having it fixed for free within 1-2 days while I was at work.

However, this past year I'm getting more and more annoyed with my apartment. The dryer makes a horrible squeaking noise to the point where I dread doing laundry, yet they won't fix it because "it still works." They did some sort of routine maintenance check last summer, and IDK what they did, but now the heat and AC make annoying rattling noises. They say "that's a normal sound" (even though I've lived here for 5 years, and I've not heard it before they came in). The carpet is looking very worn, but it's not my place, so I can't choose to replace it. I'm at the point where I want to be able to make improvements as I see fit, even though it means paying for them.

If you're not used to having upstairs/downstairs neighbors plus people right next to you, I'd also think about how bothered you'll be by that. I've been fortunate that my place is mostly quiet, but a few months ago I got new neighbors who have a little yappy dog that I can constantly hear through the wall. On weekends when I'm trying to sleep in, I've often had to move to my living room couch because the bedroom wall is shared with the yappy dog.

I have no idea how old you are, but consider how long you'll be living in the apartment. Is it long enough where you would run out of money from the sale of your home? If you bought another home, you won't have to deal with that in the future. That's the other thing that is pushing me to buy. Short term, renting is better financially (at least in my situation), but long term it's not at all. I don't want to think about what rent will be in 10 years in my area. And eventually I'll have no payment at all, even if it is in 30 years .

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net