ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - how much play time in your schedule?
View Single Post

Zia

Old 06-23-2019, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Zia,
When you say playtime at the beginning of the day, do you mean centers such as pretend play, blocks, art center, etc.? Or more like a choice time where there are table activities centered around fine motor skills?
We call it Self Selection and they can do anything they want, so long as it doesn't create a problem for themselves or others. Blocks, dress up, games/puzzles, creative area (now called a MAKER SPACE, lol), play kitchen, imaginative play, etc.

Everything Sbkangas said is true for me as well. Putting Self Selection first has completely revolutionized my day. The kids get to talk and play and then clean up waaay more quickly than they did when it was at the end of the day, and then they come together ready to focus on calendar and math. I also have just about ZERO bickers to mediate now and it used to be constant...because they were TIRED.

It has also greatly reduced tardies. Kids are so excited to come to school and they pressure parents to be on time.

It has been amazing and the other three K teachers at my school report the same.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net