ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Need help with math classes
View Single Post

Mme Escargot

Math students floundering on tests
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is math, right ? If they get an answer to a problem wrong, do they get the entire thing wrong, or can they earn partial credit for the steps they did correctly? For example, if they are going through the all the correct steps to solve the problem but make a calculation error partway through, do they at least get credit for the correct steps up to the point of the calculation error?

It's my experience that 6th graders --- sadly ---don't know their multiplication ( and therefore division ) facts very well, and that was preventing them from doing well on assessments when I taught 6th grade math a couple of years ago. I decided that what was most important to me --- and what I really wanted to assess on tests --- was whether they knew how to solve different types of problems, and whether they understood what they were doing and why. So I let them use a multiplication facts chart during tests ( laminated class set. ) But I also gave them weekly timed "fast facts" multiplication and division facts quizzes, which I averaged together into a test grade each grading period, to give them motivation to really learn and internalize those multiplication facts.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net